My latest collection all explore the significance of ‘place’ in local economic development.
They explore differences and linkages between place-based and people-based approaches; between place-sensitive and place-blind policies; and between local and national institutions.
I hope you enjoy and suggestions of further reading are always appreciated.
- ‘How Regions Grow’ by OECD (2009)
- ‘Why do regions develop and change? The challenge for geography and economics’ by Michael Storper (2011)
- ‘Regional development policies: Place-based or people-centred?’ by Indermit Gill (2010) and ‘The Place Based Approach: A Response to Mr Gill’ by Philip McCann & Fabrizio Barca (2010)
- ‘An Agenda for a Reformed Cohesion Policy: A place-based approach to meeting European Union challenges and expectations’ by Fabrizio Barca (2009)
- ‘Why Nations Fail’ – Econtalk Podcast with Daron Acemoglu (on the back of the podcast I’ve now committed myself to reading the 500 page book!!)